Thursday 19 March 2009

These next two images I have decided to post together as they show what I feel is the importance of documentary photography. from a young age i have took an inquisitive interest in war and conflict, I sometimes question weather such atrocities would go unnoticed if such images didn't exist, but then again that makes me question how such events can be photographically documented while the photographer stands by, one would wonder where morally you would stand in such circumstances, I personally could not do it.
The first image 'People about to be shot' Robert Haeberle 1969. As the title suggests this was taken moments before the shooting of these people during the notorious My Lai massacre. The more I look at this photo the more meaning full and emotionally charged it becomes. In this instant I find it incredibly difficult to see the line between documenting for the purpose or change and just to exploit for one personal gain.
The image which accompanies this one is 'Shell-shocked soldier' 1968 Don McCullin tackles the issues of the psychological effects of war which I find is much productive in its purpose. What really gets to me about this image is the wild but subdued look in the soldiers eyes this says more to me about war than say a image of a battle Field mid battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment